Urology/Blood when I urniate but no infection

Question
I am 50 years old and have had my fair share of bladder infections but not overly so.  I had a complete hysterectomy 20 years ago.  I got what I thought was a kidney infection last Monday.  It hit really fast.  The pain when I urinated was so intense.  I was just a couple of hours into this ordeal when the blood started showing up when I urinated. I only noticed it though when I wiped and as the day progressed it got more noticeable each time.  I made an appointment to see my GYN the next day.  Early in the morning of the next day I got up to go to the bathroom and noticed that I neither bleed or hurt when I urinated.  I thought that maybe it was over.  I was wrong.  A few hours later it was back to the pain and bleeding.  The test results showed no trace of the blood in my urine at all.  Results did show that I have a vaginal bacterial infection.  I don't think the bacterial infection caused the bleeding.  I think the bleeding caused the bacterial infection.  I was put on antibiotics for a kidney infection but have now stopped that and am taking antibiotics for the bacterial infection.  The doctor has no idea where the blood came from and I don't either.  I am still burning in the vaginal area and not just when I urinate.  I am unsure if I should try to see a urologist or should I just wait and see if it happens again.  And where would the blood have came from?

Answer
Carlene:

I would recommend making the appointment with the urologist.  By the time you are able to see him, you will probably have had the vaginal issue treated and the urologist can then decide whether or not to do a complete hematuria workup or not.  This would include a Kidney CT scan and a cystoscopy (look into the bladder with a special scope) that are most likely to be negative but sometimes it's best to be sure.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD