Urology/enlarged prostate and antihistamines

I have taken Zyrtec for several years and have difficulty urinating. I am 69 years old. If I discontinue the Zyrtec, how long will it take to return to normal urination? Assuming, of course, that I have not developed an enlarged prostate. I have an appointment with my doctor in two weeks.

While stopping the zyrtec may help, the fact that you are having voiding trouble at 69 means that you probably have some prostate issues and will probably need some prostate medication.  I doubt that stopping the zyrtec will have more than a slight benefit that will probably not last.  See what your doctor says.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute