Urology/enlarged prostate and antihistamines

Question
I have taken Zyrtec for several years and have difficulty urinating. I am 69 years old. If I discontinue the Zyrtec, how long will it take to return to normal urination? Assuming, of course, that I have not developed an enlarged prostate. I have an appointment with my doctor in two weeks.

Answer
Bill:

While stopping the zyrtec may help, the fact that you are having voiding trouble at 69 means that you probably have some prostate issues and will probably need some prostate medication.  I doubt that stopping the zyrtec will have more than a slight benefit that will probably not last.  See what your doctor says.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD