Urology/excessive urination some nights, not others

Pleased to meet you, Doctor Leslie!

I'm a white male, 80+ years old, in good health except for atrial fib. Some nights I urinate 5-6 times, other nights, just one time.
The "busy" night is followed by a "quiet" night, and the next night is "busy" again, etc.

Is there anything I can do about this? I emphasize the randomness of these bathroom trips, because a diagnosis that I have, say, an enlarged prostate, can't hold up. With an enlarged prostate, I would have a "busy" night every, or most nights. I use Proscar.

I am not a physician, so what I opine is, to me, common sense, not fact.

I look forward to your reply.

I suspect you have a prostate issue combined with a urinary volume issue.  You should talk to a local urologist to sort this out for you so you can get some rest.

For now, try to get your feet up after dinner and limit the amount of fluid you drink after finishing the dinnertime meal.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute