Urology/Masturbation sitting upright

I have read in many places on the internet that masturbation sitting upright for example on the edge of a sofa, bed or bath can cause pelvic muscle and nerve damage. The reason cited is that the pressure on the perineum during the orgasm stage obstructs the muscles responsible for orgasm therefore causing the tearing and damage. Have you heard of this phenomenon before and do you believe there to be any truth to it?

I am not aware of any significant harm from masturbation done in any particular position, however it may be possible to cause some damage or injury to the urethra if a position is too extreme or puts undue pressure on the base of the urethra.  Just sitting on the edge of a sofa or bed is not likely to do any harm.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute