Urology/Masturbation sitting upright

Question
I have read in many places on the internet that masturbation sitting upright for example on the edge of a sofa, bed or bath can cause pelvic muscle and nerve damage. The reason cited is that the pressure on the perineum during the orgasm stage obstructs the muscles responsible for orgasm therefore causing the tearing and damage. Have you heard of this phenomenon before and do you believe there to be any truth to it?

Answer
John:

I am not aware of any significant harm from masturbation done in any particular position, however it may be possible to cause some damage or injury to the urethra if a position is too extreme or puts undue pressure on the base of the urethra.  Just sitting on the edge of a sofa or bed is not likely to do any harm.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD