Urology/Penis - Burning during urination

Dear Sir,

Here is my story...
- was performing stretching exercises on my penis
- what resulted is that now when I urinate there is a burning sensation near the tip, and continuing about halfway down
- I have been dealing with this "pain" for more than 6 months
- I have been tested for STIs/STDs; however, nothing was discovered
- I have had cystoscopy; however, nothing was discovered
- I was prescribed antibiotics (e.g. tetracycline); however, no change
- I have tried a heat / cold press while using ibuprofen; however, no change

I am at my wits end! Perhaps, your expertise could guide me to a possible solution?

Thank you kindly, and happy holidays!

Most likely you have damaged the nerves in the penis from the stretching.  Many people forget that even if stretching might give them some extra length in the penis, the nerves don't stretch and can get injured.  Antibiotics have failed and since all of the other tests are negative for infection or evidence of a direct injury, there is essentially no treatment except time since the nerves will take their own time to heal and they may never return to normal.  Try some vitamin B-6 which may help a little.

See if prelief (available OTC in most drugstores) or pyridium (presciption needed) can help.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute