Urology/Penis Surgery for Cancer-Reconstruction

Question
I had a partial penectomy and have to urinate sitting down. When erect my penis is appox. 2 inches long; when not erect it retracts completely. I have dry orgasms due to my prostrate being removed so is there a specialist I can see about reconstructive surgery so I can have intercourse again? I have read about phalloplasty, but not sure if this is the only operation that would restore or reconstruct my penis in length.  Is there a specialist near Florida that you would recommend? Do these operations have a success rate? What are the common complications or side effects after surgery? Is there a way to extend the nerves so orgasms could be achieved?  Thanks so much for your help.  I am 64 years old and in good health. I can attach a photo if this would help.

Answer
Gary:

We do not generally perform or even recommend reconstruction after penectomy surgery.  First, this is diffult to do and not part of the everyday urological surgery routine.  If such a surgery were done, it would most likely destroy what remains of your erection ability and would require a penile prosthesis.  There would be little or no sensation in the enlarged portion of the penis.  For these reasons, penile reconstruction after penectomy surgery is rarely performed.

Phalloplasty is just a name that refers to any type of reconstruction of the penis.

There is no known way to heal or extend the nerves to restore orgasms.

We do not give recommendations on this forum, but you would want to talk to a urologist specialist who has done fellowship training in reconstruction.  Such specialists are rare and most likely to be found in a large, tertiary care university hospital center with a large urology department. Good luck.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD