Urology/PROLAPSED BLADDER AND RECTUM SURGERY

Question
I JUST WENT THE OTHER DAY TO UROLOGIST, AND AFTER SEVERAL TESTS, THE DR INFORMED ME I WILL NEED TO FIX MY PROLAPSED BLADDER, INCLUDING THE LOWER PORTION, TOTALLY UNUSABLE, FOR WHICH THE DR SUGGESTS REMOVING THE BAD PART OF BLADDER AND USING PIG SKIN TO REPAIR. ALSO NEED RECTUM REPAIR, ALSO PROLAPSED. I AM QUITE NERVOUS ABOUT SURGERY, WILL BE DONE JAN 2015, RANCHO SPRINGS HOSPITAL, MURRIETA, CA. DR IS MONISHA CRISELL, TRI-VALLEY UROLOGY. I LIKE THE DR, BUT I WAS IN CAR ACCIDENT AT AGE 16, NOW 63, AND HAVE SEVERE BACK ISSUES, INCLUDING DEGENRATIVE DISCS, HERNIATED DISCS, AM CURRENTLY ON PERCOCET AND OXYCONTIN FOR THE PAIN. BACK DR SAID SPINE IS COLLAPSING. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA OF JUST HOW PAINFUL THIS WILL BE FOR ME AND WHAT THE TYPICAL RECOVERY TIME IS, I AM TOLD I WILL GO HOME WITH CATHETER FOR 4 DAYS. JUST SCARED I GUESS, HAVE A 37 YR OLD AUTISTIC SON TO CARE FOR 24/7. APPRECIATE YOUR TIME,

JUDITH HUNTER

Answer
Judith:
Your situation sounds very complex and I am concerned that such a difficult and complicated surgery is being done in a hospital that is not a tertiary care university center.  I would suggest you get a second opinion from such a center before agreeing to any surgery.  Also, ask your physician about their experience in similar repairs and any special training they may have had.  Some urology specialists have had fellowship training in pelvic floor reconstruction and such specialists would be the best trained experts to perform such a complicated surgery.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD