Urology/proscar

Question
QUESTION: I had bph.I have been taking proscar and Flomax for a year.is it time to stop proscar.is their a cancer risk with proscar.I will continue with Flomax as im afraid if I stop I wont be able to urinate

ANSWER: Howard:

There is no significant cancer risk with proscar.  You should consider stopping the Flomax  not the Proscar which is helping to shrink the prostate.  You can always restart the Flomax if necessary.

QUESTION: I urinate at least 15 times a day due to large prostate.ddo I lose sodium and water weight thru frequent urination.should I add more salt.

ANSWER: Howard:

You definitely NOT increase water or salt intake.  Your increased urination may or may not be due to prostate issues.  For example, diabetics often produce more urine than non-diabetics due to the effect of the extra blood sugar on the kidneys.  If you increased your water intake, you will only increase the urination.  If you increased your salt intake, you risk fluid overload, heart failure and kidney problems.

The best thing to do is to perform a 24 hour voiding diary.  Write down the time and the amount of urine you void for 24 hours.  This will help differentiate too much urine production from bladder and prostate issues.  Urine production is a kidney function, bladder irritability and overactivity is a bladder and/or prostate issue.

Then go see your physician.

QUESTION: due to excessive urination will I feel symptons of electrite inbalance.does increases sodium come from too much urination.i drink 6 8oz glasses of water.will my bladder be aggravated by increase urine production.my urologist said after bladder scan my prostate is large even after taking proscar for a year?

Answer
Howard:

You will not feel any symptoms of an electrolyte imbalance until things are pretty screwed up.  You will not get an increase in blood sodium from too much or increased urination under normal circumstances.  Your prostate may be physically large, but the real issue is how much blockage there is to the urine flow.  Please review my previous response for other suggestions.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD