Urology/Urethra injury and mucus

I am a 39-year-old man who had a urinary tract infection several years ago. Since then at times I notice clear threads of mucus in my urine which I did not have power to the UTI. Why?this seems to occur when ever I feel irritation in my urethra where I previously had a structure which was dilated. The only thing I have ever been told is that when that structure gets irritatedit could cause some mucus.

Also, I was having relations with my wife and by accident she bit down and it is caused me to have tenderness in my urethra and what looks likemore clear mucus to occur. Is it likely this irritation will go away over time or is it anything to worry about?

Some degree of mucus is not unusual in the urine as the urethra tends to say a little moist, but this is not usually visible.  It sounds like you have a stricture which is a scarred, narrowed area in the urethra.  This stricture can cause a weak stream but usually does not cause excessive mucus production.  I suspect you may have a urethral infection.  Please check with your local physician.  If you notice the stream getting weaker, contact a urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute