QUESTION: I have bph and am currently being treated with proscar  and Flomax.the past 3 days I have been going to pee every hour,no pain.i just had random urine microalbumin  test which was normal.will microalbumin test pick up white cells or blood.best thing fot urination frequent is to try and hold urine in as long as possible.has cyscope 6 months ago/bladder fine.is retrograde ejaculation where sperm goes into bladder/bad for the bladder

ANSWER: Roger:

A microalbumin test will obviously only pick up albumin (a protein) and not red or white blood cells.  The Flomax is causing the ejaculation problem (it's notorious for this).  Voiding so frequently suggests overactive bladder, infection or incomplete emptying.  Talk to your urologist to see which.  Most of the time, this is easily treatable with medication or dosage adjustments.

QUESTION: with overactive bladder you urinate a lot.does frequent urination lessen chance of infection.does overactive bladder harm your bladder or kidneys and does it ever stop or lessen

Frequent urination will usually help prevent infections since the bladder is rapidly emptied and any bacteria are quickly rinsed out.  There is no specific harm to the kidneys, but significant overactivity can damage the bladder muscle given sufficient time.  Depending on the underlying cause, it may or may not get better over time.  If due to BPH, for example, it may improve with treatment of the BPH but will probably worsen without it.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute