Urology/Viagra

Question
4 months ago,  I had penile fracture w severe eggplant deformity. Recently I went to my urologist and declared fracture healed.  He prescribed me viagra 100mg.  I have not take yet as I am some hesitant of side effects.  Vision loss and erection not going away.  

Over the past few weeks, I have more and more full erections when I wake up in morning,  now up to 4/5 days a week.  But no full erections the rest of the day only partial.

Question
1.  Does the erections becoming more frequent and more full a good sign off recovery and it only being a matter of time for more erections during the day?

2.  Is viagra typically prescribed after such a surgery to get the erection function going again with ultimately not needing viagra anymore?  Is 100mg to much or should I cut in half to start?  I was only prescribed 3 100mg which I thought was a little

Please let me know your thoughts.

Answer
Dear Ray,

1. Yes, this is a good sign of recovery.  After injury to the penis, it is quite possible for erections to improve during the first 6-12 months after the injury.  

2. Generally, but not always, when Viagra is given, patients are advised to try 50mg, and then try 100mg if 50mg is not effective.  

I can not give you specific advise because that would not be appropriate since you are not seeing me as my patient.  Best of luck.

Urology

Joel Gelman, M.D.