Urology/Available Options

Question
73 year old male caucasian had plasma button surgery for BPH Jan 2012.Resumed taking blood thinner, dabigatran a week after surgery.In July2012 changed blood thinners from dabigatran to 20 mg rivaroxaban. All went well until I lifted heavy weights May2013 resulting in blood in urine. Urologist ordered a CAT scan of lower abdomen and performed cystoscopy. Both test were negative for cancer. He ordered 10 days of Bactrim and 2 days per week of Avodart. After a month I had to stop taking Avodart due to breast enlargement. Over the past 10 months hematuria occurs whenever I lift anything over 35 lb or apply a lot of pressure to lower abdomen. The occurences average at least once per month and the hematuria clears up within a day or two. It seems unlikely that wound will heal by itself as long as I'm on blood thinners.Other than another surgery, what options are available to me to heal the inside of the prostate? Have you ever heard of hyperbaric treatment being effective to hasten the healing of such a wound? Thank you in advance for your valued opinion.

Answer
John:

First, it needs to be clear where the blood is coming from.  It would be unusual for the bleeding to be coming from the prostate without some indication of it on cystoscopy examination.

A short course of radiation therapy can sometimes help control bleeding.  This usually involves just minimal radiation not full therapy for cancer.

I doubt hyperbaric therapy will work since we are not dealing with any of the known processes or disorders where this will work.  As long as you are on blood thinners, you are at increased risk of bleeding.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD