QUESTION: from the red patch on my foreskin it seems to be a case of balanitis. can it be cured? why does it come and go? the redness goes away but friction seems to bring it back on again. The redness only occurs as a small patch and not the entire area.

The other question is I have read that most of us already have herpes on our mouth. Can you transfer this from your mouth to your penis and can it become genital herpes or not?

A red patch on the head of the penis can be an infection, skin problem, fungal infection or other problem.  The fact that it comes and goes suggests an infection.

Herpes can be transmitted.

You may want to discuss this with your physician.  A dermatologist would be the expert on skin problems on the genitalia.

QUESTION: Why does it come and go? can you please explain properly. And how can it be prevented from coming back?

What is your view on the idea that underwear which is not cleaned regularly can cause this?

Are you a practising urologist by the way? Do you have knowledge outside of your speciality of kidney stones?

Without a clear diagnosis, it's hard to answer why it comes and goes or how to prevent it.  

There is no clear evidence that underwear causes anything like this, but unclear underwear is going to harbor more germs and bacteria.  If this turns out to be some type of infection, then the underwear may contribute.

I am a practicing urologist and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center in Omaha Nebraska.  I have reasonably extensive knowledge of urology even outside my special interest area of kidney stones.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute