Urology/cremasteric muscle damage

Question
the right side of my testicle has been giving me trouble for many months now. What i have noticed is that the cremasteric muscle reflex on this side is much stronger. If i elicit the muscle contraction by pulling in my lower abdomen, while holding the right testicle, the force of the cremasteric muscle pulling the testicle upwards is quite significant. Enough to potentially cause a pulling injury.

How does this muscle attach to the testicle? Could there be something wrong with it?

How can it be known whether the attachment holding the testicle is damaged? I feel a pulling sensation in this area.

The reflex on the left side by the way is very insignificant by the way. The left testicle also hangs more freely whereas the right one constantly feels like it is being pulled up.

A good urologist will surely be able to quickly provide insight into what is going on based on what I have said? The reason I mention this is that I find some of your responses to the questions on here quite vague at times.

Answer
Jim:

The muscle is naturally attached to the testicle through its connections in the spermatic cord.  While anything is possible, it is doubtful that the cremasteric muscle is strong enough to cause any significant injury.  It's typically a relatively thin and weak muscle intended to move the testicle up or down in response primarily to temperature.

There is no easy way that I know to determine damage to the cremasteric muscle attachment short of surgery.

The bottom line is that if it bothers you, a surgery can free up the muscle and release the testicle.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD