Urology/Discharge

Question
Recently I have not been masturbating regularly, maybe once a week, and I am also trying to teach myself to orgasm without ejaculating by tightening my pelvic floor.  Last night I did just that however I was not successful in holding in the ejaculation.  Today took several pisses and on the last one there was some white discharge at the end.  Is this likely to be congestive prostatitis discharge?

Answer
Phil, what you noticed is most likely prostatic fluid.  The other possibility is that some of your semen went backwards into the bladder when you ejaculated and passed out at the end of urination.  This is called retrograde ejaculation.  I suggest that you not mess with mother nature and just enjoy ejaculating in a conventional manner.  The technique you are trying may lead to further congestion of the prostate or even an inflammation of the prostate gland, so called prostatitis.  To follow is some information I have written on congestive prostatitis.  

During sexual arousal the prostate gland & seminal vesicles manufacture fluid that accounts for the majority of the semen. The seminal vesicles are paired structures located behind the prostate gland that are also sensitive to sexual excitement.  Sperm from the testicles (which account for only 1-2 % of the semen) travel up a series of tubes (epididymis and vas deferens) on each side to join the seminal vesicles forming the paired ejaculatory ducts.  These structures empty into the prostatic portion of the urethra.  At the time of ejaculation, fluid is discharged from the prostate gland and ejaculatory ducts into the urethra (urinary canal) forming the semen.  The average semen volume is 2-6 cc.  With the inception of ejaculation, the bladder neck closes and the semen is forced forward out the urethra by contraction of the pelvic muscles.  Arousal without ejaculation causes the prostate to swell with fluid producing tension on the prostate’s capsule.  This may occur with prolonged foreplay, with coitus interruptus, or by holding back ejaculation during intercourse or masturbation.  It may also occur if a man rarely ejaculates.  In this case, the prostate is still stimulated to  secrete fluid in response to sexual. dreams, fantasies and thoughts.

There are a variety of symptoms that may occur with this condition. Often the urinary stream may be split, spraying or manifest a decreased caliber or force.  Stool passing through the rectum may push on the distended prostate producing a penile discharge.  Prolonged sitting (you sit on the prostate) can cause the discharge to be noted before voiding.  At the end of urination, as the bladder is emptying out the last few drops of urine, it actually squeezes the prostate.  If the prostate is congested, one may note  fluid at the end of urination.  A man may notice this more with sitting to void as there is more pressure exerted on the prostate in this position.   With congestive prostatitis one may experience discomfort which is often referred  to the penis, testicle(s), groin, low back or rectal area.  This pain in the testicles is denoted by the slang terms: “blue balls” or “lover’s nuts”.  Irritating urinary symptoms such as frequency or urgency may also occur.  Symptoms are typically immediately relieved by ejaculation and prevented by avoiding sexual arousal without ejaculation.  Sitting in a warm bathtub for 10-15 minutes daily will also provide some relief. Congestion of the prostate can also predispose to infection of this gland.  This requires a course of antibiotic therapy.   Therefore, if the condition persists, consultation with a urologist is recommended.  Good luck.

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.