Urology/Gross Terminal Heamturia and hematospermia

Question
I am 40 years old male from India. About 3 years back, I had the first instance where I noticed blood at the end of urine stream. During this time, I also had blood in semen. Both situations had been painless and the condition was restored to normalcy without any medication. The same situation got repeated last year. I went through urine culture, lower abdomen X-ray and USG tests only. The results showed RBCs but no bacterial infection and the USG results show enlagred prostrate. Again, this time also, the symptoms disappeared on it's own within 2-3 weeks. Now, 1 week back, during my trip to USA, I again developed the same issues. I went thru lot of articles on site and feel developing prostatitis. Only factor that I can relate to this time is long hour seating while in flight.
Do I have to live with this for ever? Or is there any cure?

Answer
Samrat:

It may require a repeat evaluation to look at all the other sites for possible bleeding.  Prostatitis can be difficult to treat or cure.  Some fo the available therapies include the following:

Avoid caffeine which irritates the prostate and bladder.
Hot sitz baths.  Sitting in a very hot tub for 10 minutes really seems to reduce pelvic pain, inflammation and discomfort.  We recommend twice or even three times a day for severe cases or flare-ups, but at least once a day for most prostatitis patients.
Avoid hot spices which tend to irritate the prostate.
Avoid sitting on hard surface; use an inflatable donut to spread the pressure away from the prostate.
Use NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or naprosyn (Aleve) to help reduce discomfort and inflammation.
Antibiotics as prescribed by your physician.
Alpha blocker medications such as tamsulosin and alfuzosin will help relax muscle tension in the prostate.
Avoid high potassium foods that some people are sensitive to and which can be irritating.
Less alcohol and smoking.
Use quercetin which is a natural anti-inflammatory herbal supplement that has been shown to help reduce inflammation in the prostate.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD