Urology/hard testicle

you told be before that you dont know what is causing my testicle to go hard. If you are a professor and you have not come across this, how will the urologist know whats going on if i go to him?

Again the problem is that the whole of the right testicle changes from quite hard to more soft.  The change can last for half an hour or so. I dont know when it happens, it happens sporadically.

So even if you dont know why it happens, can you tell me how it happens? what does hardness mean? does it mean the muscles are squeezing it? does it mean a lack of blood flow? whats going on here?

The advantage of doing a more complete examination will help the local urologist determine what is going.  The fact that you state that it changes character going from hard to soft is confusing because a definitive problem such as a tumor or infection should be pretty constant.

Hardness usually means infection or inflammation but it can also represent scar tissue, a hematoma or some kind of tumor.  None of these problems is likely to vary or disappear quickly.  I cannot explain why it changes character in the way you say.

I can tell you that it does NOT mean the muscles are squeezing it or a lack of blood flow.  However, I do not have enough information to determine with certainty the nature of your problem and I wouldn't be allowed to tell you even if it did due to the rules on this site.  Please contact your local urology practitioner as previously recommended.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute