QUESTION: usually peyronies means the penis bends upwards when erect but my penis is sort of twisted when flaccid. It hangs to the left and is rotated a bit so that the urethra is rotated (when flaccid). When the penis is erect it points to the left rather than straight ahead. Thats not the same as saying its bent. Although there is also a slight bend too. So is this a normal variation?

and when i try to feel the penis while its flaccid i feel some pain when i press on the penis at certain angles. Its not completely soft but the whole thing is a bit hard. normal or not?

Its not soft like if you were pressing on your abdomen or stomach.

The other thing is my erections are often a bit painful initially. But after some warm up, the pain goes away. By warm up i mean after it has been erect for 5 or 10 minutes.

It seems to me that when the blood flows into the chamber there is pain. So the chambers must be in some way a bit damaged. Not so severely that it causes significant pain or symptoms but there are slight symptoms which suggest that there is some kind of minor damage. Whats your opinion?


Peyronie's does not necessarily require a bend in any particular direction so it can go up, down, left, right, twist or just have a narrowed area.  The pain you've noted could be from the Peyronie's.  It is not normal to have pain in the penis when pressing it.  The "chambers" may not be damaged but in Peyronie's there is fibrous or scar tissue in the walls of the chamber which may be the cause of some of your problems.  Check with your urologist for a mmore personal and specific answer.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: what about a penis which points in a different direction when flaccid? bending due to peyronies is caused by scarring which prevents one side from expanding correct? If its flaccid, scar tissue would not cause bending correct?

you say it is not normal but how do you know this?

what may be normal for you may not be for others. Every persons body is different do you agree? what some may regard as painful, others may not.

how is peyronies diagnosed? is it just a simple physical examination? can you tell me what to look for because i can do it myself if thats all it requires.

how do you explain the disappearance of the pain after a short time of warm up? the same goes for when I press on the penis, Initially it is painful but after a while it becomes less painful. I think any part of your body is painful if you press it in certain ways. The penis is not designed to be pressed so its natural to feel pain if you press it no?


How do I know that the penis should not be painful when pressed?  Surely you're kidding!

While everyone is different as you state, it certainly is not "normal" to have pain in an otherwise normal organ.  Plus, pain is one of the symptoms of Peyronie's.

While scar tissue does cause the bending in Peyronie's, it can also result in bending when flaccid even in a different direction.  When flaccid, the scar tissue may be longer than than the other normal side and thus result in a bend in the opposite direction compared to the erect state.

Peyronie's usually requires the finding of a plaque and a history that is consistent.  Most laypersons are not familiar with what a plaque should feel like.  There is no specific confirmatory test other than an examination by a competent urologist.  It is dangerous to try and diagnose yourself.

I do not agree with your assessment of pain being normal if you press an organ, particularly the penis which has no specific pressure points or anatomical sites that would suggest a weakness that could be subject to pain.  You should have this checked by a urologist as stated earlier.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I can see a small bump on the side of the penis in the middle. I cant make out if this is a vein which is protruding out. It looks similar to a vein. could it be a vein? Do plaques appear on the outside as a bump? or are they invisible?

Also how conclusive is the examination they do for peyronies? will it hurt? can the doctor do it or do I need to be seen by a urologist?


The bump may be a vein or something else.  Most plaques are not visible on the surface.  The exam by a urologist is considered diagnostic and doesn't hurt.  You will need to be seen by a urologist to be sure as most general physicians are not sufficiently skilled to do this reliably.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.