Urology/Reoccurring hydrocele

Question
I had a hydroselectomy about 3 months ago, he said did the method were he sutured the sack inverted up. After 3 months it is still bigger than before the surgery and the swelling has stopped going down. My urologist said it will go away on its own and not to worry so I got a second opinion. There the urologist said that he wanted to redo the surgery again in 3 months but this time he wants to completely remove the hydrocele sack. Just to mention the original surgery was a bilateral one, but the left has almost completely healed while the right is still huge. A ultrasound showed there was no infection. I went to get a third opinion after this, that urologist blamed the original surgeon, saying that because he didn't use a drain the hydrocele won't go away. The original hydrocele was described on the first ultrasound as moderate and it is now being described as large. I don't know what to do because the original surgery was embarrassing as I was walking around like a grandpa for a month. I really want to get back to playing sports and to my normal life but all three doctors have said they won't drain it. It is I guess important to note that I did get hospitalized with pneumonia  two weeks after the surgery. The cause of that was said to be that I had something brewing already when I went under general anesthetic. What should I do, should I get another opinion or should I just  wait and get another surgery? (I really don't want to do that)

Answer
Alex:

Don't jump right into another surgery too soon.  I rarely use any drains in my hydroceles because the swelling almost always goes down on its own and drains can lead to more infections.  Draining the fluid is a bad idea as it will just come back and you risk other damage and infection.  If it's clear that it's not getting any better on its own, a repeat surgery may need to be done.  Such a return of a hydrocele is quite unusual.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD