Urology/slow stream, fequncy possible lasar treatment to streach tube

I am a white male, 75 years old. I was treated for Prostate cancer in 2006 with radiation. I have a slow stream of urine and have had one stretching which lasted about 2 weeks. I get frequent urinary trace infections. I have ED for years. Any HOPE?

Sure there's hope.  You might need a resection or prostate laser treatment of the blockage. This sometimes causes leakage especially after radiation therapy so we often go to stretching.  Patients can be taught how to place a catheter every day or every other day to keep the passage open.  A DVIU (Direct Vision Internal Urethrotomy) is a method to gently cut the scar tissue which tends to keep it open longer than just a stgretching.  UTIs can be prevented once the urinary flow is fixed.

ED is certainly treatable with Viagra, penile injections, external vacuum devices or some combination of these.  You should talk to your urologist about these problems.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute