Urology/slow stream, fequncy possible lasar treatment to streach tube

Question
I am a white male, 75 years old. I was treated for Prostate cancer in 2006 with radiation. I have a slow stream of urine and have had one stretching which lasted about 2 weeks. I get frequent urinary trace infections. I have ED for years. Any HOPE?

Answer
Bill:

Sure there's hope.  You might need a resection or prostate laser treatment of the blockage. This sometimes causes leakage especially after radiation therapy so we often go to stretching.  Patients can be taught how to place a catheter every day or every other day to keep the passage open.  A DVIU (Direct Vision Internal Urethrotomy) is a method to gently cut the scar tissue which tends to keep it open longer than just a stgretching.  UTIs can be prevented once the urinary flow is fixed.

ED is certainly treatable with Viagra, penile injections, external vacuum devices or some combination of these.  You should talk to your urologist about these problems.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD