Urology/small bruise penis.

I had sex with my girlfriend the other day it was unprotected (she's on birth control) and also has no std history. and a day after i noticed a small purpleish colored bruise.  i haven't had any pain involved and the morning after the sex i woke up with morning erection.  

what can cause a bruise on the penis. is it serious?

Also would you know if you had a penile fracture? I also had a small little bruise after sex 2 weeks earlier that healed. what could cause a reccurance of a bruise.  

i recently went to the doc to have a check up before the bruise and everything was fine.

There is a long list of what can cause a bruise including blunt trauma, coagulation problem, infection, contusion, etc.

You would certainly know if you had a penile fracture.  There would be immediate loss of erection with severe pain, swelling and bruising of the penis.  It isn't something you would likely ignore.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute