Urology/spasms leakage of urine

Question
I have aggressive prostate cancer and I have an indwelling catheter. I get frequent spasms and urine leakage. I have used anti spasm pills but they seem to be ineffective.Would a suprapubic operation help and are there other anti spasm drugs worth trying? I am 69 years of age.

Answer
Derek:

There are 10 different drugs that can be used for spasms so I doubt you've tried all of them.  The most effective is probably the B and O suppository (belladona and opium) which is quite effective.  Sometimes, we use the anti-spasm meds in combination and it's important to make sure there is no ongoing infection.

If none of these things works, botox injections can paralyze the bladder but this can be expensive and will eventually wear off in about 9 months.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD