You are here:

Urology/spasms leakage of urine


I have aggressive prostate cancer and I have an indwelling catheter. I get frequent spasms and urine leakage. I have used anti spasm pills but they seem to be ineffective.Would a suprapubic operation help and are there other anti spasm drugs worth trying? I am 69 years of age.


There are 10 different drugs that can be used for spasms so I doubt you've tried all of them.  The most effective is probably the B and O suppository (belladona and opium) which is quite effective.  Sometimes, we use the anti-spasm meds in combination and it's important to make sure there is no ongoing infection.

If none of these things works, botox injections can paralyze the bladder but this can be expensive and will eventually wear off in about 9 months.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.