Urology/Urethral stricture after greenlight surgery

Question
I had this greenlight laser surgery done nov 14 2013.  Now I have all this grainy stone like material all around the prostate area where it was lasered.  While passing this stoney material I got a stricture with imbedded stoney material in it.  The urologist says he can laser out the stone material and the stricture but I will have to cath myself.  Do these strictures always reocur, how long before one may close up completely and how did this happen.  He explained how safe it was and how it would benefit me and now I'm in the worst nightmare of my entire life.

Answer
Kenny:

Unfortunately, strictures frequently recur, but treatment usually does not cause the patient to do self catheterizations except intermittently to keep the passage open.  There is no way to predict how long it may take for the stricture to close up completely as this varies greatly from one person to another.  By the time a stricture is noticeable, in most cases it is quite tight and so a treatment such as surgery should not be delayed too long or you may end up requiring an emergency procedure.

If you are concerned, consider a second opinion if you can get one quickly enough.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD