Urology/vibration in groin or penis area

I have been having these sensations in my groin or penis area that feel like an annoying cell phone vibrating in my pocket.  I have read about others having this but not clear as to what it is or what to do about it, or if it will go away on it's own. As others have indicated, it is not painful but very annoying.  I am 46 y/o male who is not in the best shape but active with snow skiing and other outdoor sports.  I have a desk job that requires about 70% of the time in a chair.  This sensation has started as intermittent but is now constant.  It makes it very difficult to focus at work and sleep at night.  Can you please let me know how to get rid of this.

First, a diagnosis is needed.  Since we're dealing with a pure sensation, it's most likely to be a neuropathy or nerve issue.  You may want to consult a general surgeon or urologist to make sure the anatomy is normal, but you may also need a neurologist who is an expert in nerve problems.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute