Urology/balance of 2 urology drugs

Hello doctor, Men like myself who have BPH and have been put on Rapaflo or similar drug how do they balance taking a drug like Viagra for our erection dysfunction with the Alpha blockers?  I read it may cause fainting in some cases.  I also read that some ED drugs can help with BPH but i couldnt take them long term as they cause me headaches.  Just basically wondering how to take my viagra being that now im on Rapaflo.  Many thanks for your help doctor.

In most cases, the viagra type drugs don't cause any problem.  It depends which drugs.  Rapaflo typically has minimal problems.  It may be a good idea not to take the two drugs together.

This problem was more noticeable when using the first generation alpha blocker drugs like doxazosin and terazosin.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute