Urology/Blood in urine

Question
For two weeks I've been experiencing abdominal pain and also pain in my left flank, left kidney area. I've felt very exhausted, with headaches and sometimes the pain in my abdomen was sharp, shooting pain that doubled me over. The kidney area pain was just a constant dull ache. All these symptoms (as I searched online) pointed to UTI/kidney infection. So I went to my doctor, she did a urinalysis and found blood in my urine, but said my red blood cells weren't where they should be if I had an infection. So I got antibiotics to treat for infection. But she called with my results from the culture, and no, it's not an infection. First, I'm wondering if continuing the antibiotics for the next week is ok (which she told me to do, but they also make me feel a bit sick and make my eyes dry and very red) and I'm also wondering if I should go back and get more tests? What other conditions might be the cause of my symptoms? (P.s. I don't have insurance yet, so any testing could be costly for me). If it's more serious, I would be willing to test more, but if I can save some money and see if it clears up on its own, that'd be great too! By the way, I am female, age 36.

Answer
Angie:

The combination of abdominal pain in the kidney area with blood in the urine indicates a kidney problem that is probably not due to infection.  A kidney stone or some other type of kidney problem is likely.  You should consult with a urologist because this could be something serious like a stone or a tumor.  Waiting for it to "clear up" is not wise at this point.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD