You are here:

Urology/constant wet and sticky under foreskin


Male,age 70,sexually active,Conway Ar..About 2 1/2 years ago I had some off & on pains in my penis that ,after a week or so became 3  grain sized bumps that were sore for a day or two and haven't bothered me since. Shortly after the bumps emerged, I started being wet and sticky under my foreskin,this most of the time,I can bath and dry completely and within 30 minutes the ,stickiness will be back. I have been checked for STD'shave been prescribed anti fungal powder, nystatin, zinc oxide, and oral anti fungals. I have had a one week round of zithromycin, twoweeks of doxycycline,two weeks of cipro500 two different times, and two weeks of levifloxicin.Only the doxycycline was for this particular problem.I have been seen by my primary care, urology,dermatology, all said they didn't know why or what the problem was,but assured me that it was nothjng contagious,that I should live with it ,or get circumcisedI do have a lot of redundant skin when flaccid state but none in the erect state and am no different now than in the previous 68 yrs..The only relief I get from this is a few hours after sex and when I get really nervous,such as when I see a Dr., there have been two swabs taken , the first showed normal flora the second showed rare staph aureus.My efforts to get a diagnosis have been met with the assumption that I am a senile ,lying ,old ,pervert.I hope you may have some answers or at least some direction to go.

Bob, as you might imagine, for this type of problem it is difficult for me to make an exact diagnosis or give recommendations over the internet because of the inability to take a more complete history and do a physical examination.  However, I shall try to help you.

From your history, I doubt that you have an infection (bacterial or fungal) because of your lack of response to previous therapy for these conditions.  Incidentally, a rare Staph aureus is common on the skin and usually a normal finding.  Some men just have an increased secretion of material (smegma) under the foreskin.  You have several choices for treatment.

The first is diligent genital hygiene.  Retract the foreskin back to expose the glans penis completely, wash thoroughly with soap and water then pat dry.  Next apply 3% hydrogen peroxide (available over-the-counter from your local pharmacist) with a cotton tipped applicator to the inner foreskin, glans penis and groove behind the glans.  After the bubbling stops, pat dry and pull the foreskin forward. You can do the washing in the shower and apply the hydrogen peroxide once you dry yourself off. Do this at least once a day.

If this does not solve your situation, I can almost guarantee you that a circumcision will be curative.  Removing the foreskin takes away the majority of the secretory glands.  The residual glands on the penis tend not to secrete any longer once continuously exposed to the elements.  I can understand why at age 68, you may be against circumcision so I offer you a third choice.

This would be a dorsal slit of the foreskin.   If you are not concerned about cosmetics,  this simpler procedure  can be utilized.  In this operation the foreskin is left intact but an incision is made through part of the prepuce so as to release the funnel of the foreskin.   The incision is continued to the area of the coronal sulcus of the glans penis.  The foreskin is otherwise left intact and the "V" shaped incision is then sutured to retain the "V" opening.  I suspect this would also help your problem but may not be quite as sure as a circumcision. If it does not provide the desired result, it can easily be converted to a circumcision at a later date.  I must confess that initially they look a bit odd cosmetically as the foreskin falls to the sides.  However, once healed, to the untrained eye they look just like a circumcision (except all of the foreskin is still present).

Good luck.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.


Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.


I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2017 All rights reserved.