Urology/Distinction between Telangiectasia and Varicocele

Hello Dr. Leslie,

A brief question:

Is there a relationship between varicocele and visible telangiectasia on the scrotum? What I mean is, not the visibility of dilated veins UNDER the scrotum, but actual spider veins of the blueish, purplish, variety on the scrotum itself.

I had a varicocelectomy and assumed that the spider veins were a result of the varicocele; that the spider veins would correct after surgery. They did not. Are they a result of varicocele, but may remain there permanently? or is recurrence possible? Or are they completely unrelated? If so what causes telangiectasia in the scrotum? it does not seem to be common as I can't find relatable material online.

The superficial spider veins on the skin and the underlying varicosities of a varicocele are not related.  We would not expect the skin veins to improve after varicocele surgery.

They can be treated with lasers, but usually we just leave them alone as they are purely cosmetic and this is not typically a visible area.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute