QUESTION: I have read that if you raise your legs just before ejaculation, this can lead to greater pressure on the prostate to squeeze out the fluid resulting in a more complete ejaculation.

true or not?

and is there such a thing as incomplete ejaculation? very often I feel that not all of the fluid is being ejaculated and this is precisely what leads to discomfort very shortly afterwards.

How do you achieve the most complete ejaculation?

I honestly am not completely sure if raising the legs leads to more complete ejaculation, but it doesn't sound right.  Even if it were true, I wouldn't want to be bothered by having to do such an uncomfortable maneuver.

There is really no such thing as incomplete ejaculation.  It's a reflex and once started, it completes itself.  I don't know where your particular discomfort is coming from, but it's certainly not from incomplete ejaculation.  A prostate infection like prostatitis is far more likely.  Check with your physician.

QUESTION: I am sorry but I strongly disagree with your opinion.

How have you decided raising the legs is not right? how do you know its uncomfortable? When I read about this manouever, it was suggested that it would lead to greater contraction of the muscles and therefore to greater pleasure. So it is the opposite of what you say. In any case I wondered if the greater contraction would empty out the prostate better than without the maneuver.

if there is no such thing as incomplete ejaculation, why are some people able to hold back their ejaculation just  by tensing their kegal muscles? wheres the proof that once started it cant be stopped? i do believe that trying to stop it can cause an incomplete ejaculation. Another example is ejaculating a bit, then ceasing all movement so that the reflex ceases. This also leads to incomplete ejaculation.

if it's not from incomplete ejaculation, why does the discomfort happen only after ejaculation? Surely a prostate infection would cause discomfort at other times too? And why do I not suffer discomfort after a successful and complete ejaculation?

Sorry but as you can see your advice is not consistent with what I have experienced and I think you are completely off the mark.

First, there has never been a properly done scientific study on this issue so we are left with opinions.  The suggestion that greater contraction of muscles not directly involved in ejaculation will somehow make it feel better is not scientifically valid although it sounds plausible.  The maneuver is at least as likely to interfere with ejaculation as help it.

The issue of the maneuver being uncomfortable was just a personal opinion and observation.

There is no evidence that the suggested maneuver will work to empty the prostate better and since ejaculation does not directly empty the prostate the issue moot.

There are no Kegel muscles.  Kegel exercises, named after Dr. Kegel, are used to increase pelvic muscle tone usually for urinary problems.  Tensing these muscles has been touted as increasing sexual enjoyment to some degree, but there is insufficient evidence to consider this conclusive.

As far as proof that once started the ejaculation doesn't stop; this information comes from the published medical literature beginning with the work of Masters and Johnson who actually did the first, proper, scientific study of normal human sexual activity.

Trying to stop an ejaculation in the middle might cause an increase in intraprostatic pressure and possibly retrograde ejaculation where semen would enter the bladder and possibly reflux into the prostatic ducts potentially causing a chemical prostatitis.

As far as the cause of your discomfort, it is entirely possible that the unusual maneuvers and attempts to stop ejaculation may inadvertently have contributed to the problem.  

Prostatitis may or may not cause other symptoms of discomfort depending on the severity and nature of the inflammation.  It is not possible for you to make such a diagnosis on yourself so it is still possible you have this condition.

Since you find my advice to be inconsistent with your experience and ideas, you are perfectly free to ignore it.  But if or when a clearer picture of this problem emerges, please write back and let us know.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute