Urology/questions

Question
In the general population there is a tendency for sexual matters to be subject to humour and to elicit embarrassment. I fear that if I were to go to a urologist to discuss various matters related to sex, the same type of attitude would be true. What would you say to that? Despite urology being the branch that deals with sexual matters, is there still a tendency for levity among urologists when it comes to sexual matters?

what rules are in place to prevent abuse or misconduct?

Lastly, can an ultrasound of the testicles detect how much sperm is contained within it at the time?

Answer
Jim:

While it's impossible to make a 100% guarantee, it would be quite unlikely to encounter anything other than professionalism from your medical professionals about a sexual matter.  We urologists see these sorts of problems all the time and we try not to do anything to make the patient feel uncomfortable.

As far as abuse and misconduct, there are a variety of rules in place to protect patients which vary from one country to another, but most Western countries have a way for patients to file a complaint when warranted.

There is no way for an ultrasound to measure or estimate sperm counts in the testicle.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD