Urology/Can quitting smoking temporarily cause complete of libido in men?

Question

My 45 year old husband has smoked off and on his whole life.  He started quitting smoking again last weekend, and is using e-cigarettes as an aid.  However, this weekend he had completely NO libido - not like usual (where if he was not initially interested he could be coaxed- coaxing failed) but he didn't want to be touched / even playfully patted on the rear on Sunday, either? On Sunday he said it "feels bad/creepy" if he's not in the mood? He's never said this to me before in 15 years.

I find this perplexing.  Is temporary and complete loss of Libido something that happens at first when quitting smoking - or might something else be going on?  please help.  If it can be from quitting smoking- how long does it typically last before we should get worried?  Thanks in advance.

Answer
The e cigarrettes had quite a bit of nicotine which we would expect to inhibit erection ability slightly due to vasoconstriction of the arteries.  While there have been some anecdotal reports of loss of sexual function with e cigarretes, this would not be expected.  You should advise him to get checked by his physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD