Urology/Can quitting smoking temporarily cause complete of libido in men?

My 45 year old husband has smoked off and on his whole life.  He started quitting smoking again last weekend, and is using e-cigarettes as an aid.  However, this weekend he had completely NO libido - not like usual (where if he was not initially interested he could be coaxed- coaxing failed) but he didn't want to be touched / even playfully patted on the rear on Sunday, either? On Sunday he said it "feels bad/creepy" if he's not in the mood? He's never said this to me before in 15 years.

I find this perplexing.  Is temporary and complete loss of Libido something that happens at first when quitting smoking - or might something else be going on?  please help.  If it can be from quitting smoking- how long does it typically last before we should get worried?  Thanks in advance.

The e cigarrettes had quite a bit of nicotine which we would expect to inhibit erection ability slightly due to vasoconstriction of the arteries.  While there have been some anecdotal reports of loss of sexual function with e cigarretes, this would not be expected.  You should advise him to get checked by his physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute