Urology/undescended testicle

R/sir ,
      My son is having only one testicle in the left side . Right side it is absent . By ultrasound they can't find anything . His age is 7 days . Sir is there any complication for that .I hope your replay as earliest .
         Thanking you ,

An undescended testicle is potentially serious as it has a higher rate of possible testicular cancer compared to normal.  A CT scan might be reasonable if ultrasound doesn't find it.  If not, a laparoscopy can be done when he is a little older to see if there is an abdominal testicle or not.  You may want to consult a pediatric urologist since they are the true experts.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute