Urology/Urology - BPH

Question
Dear Dr Lesie,

Last year I was diagnosed with BPH and underwent a TURP operation.  I now have retrograde ejaculation.

As I understand it, this is due to damage or removal of the sphincter, at the bladder neck.  The sphincter closes when a men ejaculates and prevents semen going into the bladder.

Is it necessary for the sphincter to be removed during a TURP operation?  Why can't the urologist just remove tissue inside the prostate and leave the bladder neck intact?

Is this normal practice or does it depend on the individual urologist.

Thank you for your time.

Paul

Answer
Paul:

It is necessary to remove the internal sphincter when doing a TURP procedure as the prostate is intimately involved with it.  There is no way to leave the internal sphincter and do a proper TURP procedure.  Retrograde ejaculation is an expected consequence and this should have been explained to you prior to your surgery.  At this point, there is no way to fix this.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD