You are here:

Urology/Urology Question


What do you call this condition. A friend of mine visited the doctor and was given uro flow test. The doctor told him his flow rate was 5 times the speed of the average male and that he had a  very large bladder. He had a further examination and was told he was fine, his kidney and and all other organs related to urine production functioned properly. I tried to do some research on this but had no luck.

I can only give you general information because I am missing important details (second hand).  You do not say why your friend visited a doctor. Generally, a man goes to a doctor because the flow is low, not because he is urinating too well.  You say the speed is 5 times the average male.  This seems extremely unusual as the bladder can only contract with a certain force.  Perhaps this was an exaggeration.  You do not say what the flow rate was, and so it is hard for me to comment on this.  Moreover, you say the bladder was large, but do not say the capacity.  In general, a non-invasive way to get some information about how well someone is urinating is a measurement of the flow rate along with what is called the post-void residual.  The man urinates into a machine (with a full bladder).  The machine measures the flow rate over time, and this is printed as a graph.  The information provided includes the voided volume and the peak flow.  Right after that, an ultrasound is placed over the bladder to assess the amount in the bladder (post void residual).  An example of normal would be a voided volume of 300cc with a peak flow of 35 cc/sec and a residual of less than 10 cc.  This is not an exact test and there can be normal variation of flow rate based on the amount in the bladder and other factors.  An example of very abnormal would be a voided volume of 70cc with a peak flow of 8 cc/sec and a residual of 350cc.  Glad all is well with your friend.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel Gelman, M.D.


Urethral Stricture Disease, Peyronie's Disease and disorders of penile curvature, Erectile Dysfunction with a focus on penile implant surgery, Male Incontinence, Hypospadias


Dr. Gelman is a Board Certified Fellowship Trained expert in Male Reconstructive Urology and the Director of the Center for Reconstructive Urology in the Department of Urology at UC, Irvine Medical Center.

American Urologic Association Society of GU Reconstructive Surgeons (Board of Directors) International Sexual Medicine Society Western Section, Americal Urological Association

Journal of Urology Urology Journal of Endourology

Residency in Urology, UCLA, completed 1995 Fellowship in GU Reconstruction, Devine Center, completed 1997

Past/Present Clients
The Center for Reconstructive Urology is a regional, national, and international Tertiary Referral Center for urethral stricture disease, penile curvature, erectile dysfunction, male incontinence, and other surgical disorders of the male urethra and penis. Patients have travelled from 24 different states and other countries to receive care at the Center for Reconstructive Urology. More information can be found at

©2017 All rights reserved.