I would like you to consider a conjecture I have which might explain the discomfort in my right testicle which started several months ago and has persisted on and off. Often such cases are labelled as chronic epididimytis, which sounds impressive but tells us little about the nature of the problem.
My opinion is that the testicle is infected by some sort of parasite which occurs in the condition known as amoebiasis.

The article states that the infection can affect any part of the body and last for years. I am not suggesting it is amoebiasis but the symptoms of 'chronic epididimitis' seem to have some commonality with it. Please state your opinion on this.

For the past few months, the discomfort has largely been minimal but it has got worse recently with a change to warmer weather. Can you suggest any further explanation for this worsening of symptoms? Can you also suggest any ways of preventing the condition from worsening?

Amebiasis is a disease of the Third world and is typically due to contaminated water supplies.  It is rare to see it developed countries.  

Amebiasis typically involves the colon and intestines.  It can migrate to other parts of the body, especially with recurrent infections, but usually it's the liver that is affected.

There are virtually no incidences of testicular involvement with amebiasis.  Experimentally, amoebic infections in testicles cause necrosis not the intermittent pain you've described.  There is no commonality that I can find between chronic epididymitis and amebiasis.

Since we don't have a confirmed diagnosis of your problem, it's difficult to suggest or explain your symptoms.

If direct examinations and ultrasounds are normal, then we look at prostatitis, long term anti-inflammatories and possibly a surgical exploration.  But this will be up to your physicians.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute