Urology/Cosmetic procedures on the penile raphe?

The raphe line on the underside of my penis is quite pronounced and corkscrews across the shaft when nearing the crown. It is distinct from the surrounding skin and creates a two tone affect.

It's very similar to this picture

Is there a surgical procedure or technique for reducing the appearance of this line or straightening it? Is there even a precedent in cosmetic surgery for this? I've enquired with a reputable plastic surgeon in the past on this issue and he said he thinks he could help but I'd have to have a mildly expensive consultation just to hear what he proposes. Problem is, I've searched online about this issue and cannot find any precedent for previous work in this field so I fear I could be a 'guinea pig' for this sort of procedure. The only procedure I can find which is related is within congenital penile shaft rotation or penile torsion corrective surgeries, where apparently the median raphe line is 'straightened' in conjunction with the torsion correction.

In your opinion, how 'easy' would it be to either straighten the raphe near the glans so it travels in a straight line or blanche part of the raphe line so it appears the same colour as the surrounding skin? And to do this with little/no evidence that any surgery had taken place?     

Thank you

Keep in mind it is NORMAL for there to be variations in penile skin color and median raphe appearance.  I have never done such a surgery.  I do not know of anyone who has, and I am exclusively specialized in male urethral-genital reconstructive surgery.  If I were to be forced to do such a surgery, I would approach it by making a longitudinal elliptical incision of the skin to include the median rap along the length assuming the width of the incision would not lead to skin deficiency, and then close the skin longitudinally.  The new linear scar would be the new median raphe.  However, the reason I say "if I were forced" is because I would not offer to do such a surgery even though it is an easy surgery and even if I were very well compensated.  You describe a normal penis.  There are always risks of surgery.  I believe that perhaps you are too focused on the appearance of what you describe as a normal variation.   I believe that if you look hard enough, you will find doctors willing to attempt this surgery, especially if well paid.  However, that may not be in your best interest, especially if your result is sub-optimal compared to what appears to be your situation now, which is normal.

Joel Gelman, M.D.

Urethral Stricture Disease, Peyronie's Disease and disorders of penile curvature, Erectile Dysfunction with a focus on penile implant surgery, Male Incontinence, Hypospadias

Dr. Gelman is a Board Certified Fellowship Trained expert in Male Reconstructive Urology and the Director of the Center for Reconstructive Urology in the Department of Urology at UC, Irvine Medical Center.

American Urologic Association Society of GU Reconstructive Surgeons (Board of Directors) International Sexual Medicine Society Western Section, Americal Urological Association

Journal of Urology Urology Journal of Endourology

Residency in Urology, UCLA, completed 1995 Fellowship in GU Reconstruction, Devine Center, completed 1997

The Center for Reconstructive Urology is a regional, national, and international Tertiary Referral Center for urethral stricture disease, penile curvature, erectile dysfunction, male incontinence, and other surgical disorders of the male urethra and penis. Patients have travelled from 24 different states and other countries to receive care at the Center for Reconstructive Urology. More information can be found at