Urology/High luteinizing hormone...

Question
Hello! A little backround to my problem: I checked my testosterone levels year ago in January 2013 and they were 13nmol/l and the free-testosterone 199pmol/l. I took my total testosterone levels again in the last summer of 2013 and then it were 15nmol/l.

In the beginning of January 2014 I checked my testosterone levels again and I also checked my Luteinizing hormone levels and estradiol levels. My testosterone levels were then 19nmol/l and free-T was 407pmol/l, and I think this is okay, but my LH-levels were 13iu/l and estradiol were 0.16nmol/l and I'm under the impression that these levels are too high.

I started taking zinc supplement 30mg/day about a year ago and I wondered if this might contribute to the problem, 'cause I have read that zinc can raise testosterone levels and maybe it did it by stimulating the Luteinizing hormone etc.?

My question still is: Should I be worried about this elevated Luteinizing hormone level? Could this be totally normal or does it indicate some kind of a problem in my testicles or hypogonadism etc., and what should I do about it? What about the estradiol, should I do something to get it reduced?

These hormonal imbalances happened after I quit my ssri-medications in the summer of 2012. If my testosterone levels are somehow low, is this a natural phenomenon that the LH-levels get high to stimulate more testosterone production?

Thanks very much for your answer!

Answer
Jack:

You did not supply the normal ranges which vary from each individual laboratory.  The numbers are otherwise impossible to analyze.  The usual range is around 9-37 nmol/l so assuming your laboratory has a similar range, your levels are in the normal range.  The LH seems a little high at 13 but not by much.  

One of the questions is why you are checking the testosterone and LH at all.  Is there a problem that prompted checking these levels?

A relatively low or low-normal testosterone along with a relatively high or high-normal LH does suggest that the testicles may not be making adequate hormone.  This is not due to SSRI meds.  You may want to check with an endorcrinologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD