I have wrote to you a few times about the problem im having after taking Viagra, I have had a bloodflow test done which showed my veins were leaking. my professor thinks a operation will sort it, he doesn't think there is scarring of tissues or plaques so he sent me for ultrasound today, they couldn't find any scarring or plaques or fibrosis, I am really puzzled ny this because my penis literally feels dead, I havn't had a hard erection in over a year when I get aroused it is a soft erection that is numb an not nearly normal size, do u think the test would of definatley picked up any damage to erectile tisse or any scarring or plaques and do u think the operation to fix the leaking veins would get my erections back to normal?? thanks for all your replys

Unfortunately, an ultrasound may not pick up tissue damage or scarring that is too small.  Operations to fix venous leak are not usually very successful.  It's like trying to plug up all the holes in a sponge to keep it from leaking; there just isn't one place to treat.  I would get a second opinion before agreeing to any surgery.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute