If the majoritu of my erectile tissue has turned to scar tissue whichi am convinced has happened would the ultrasound definately pick it up? When is gene therapy coming out and would this help get my penis get bkto normal?

There is no guarantee that ultrasound can pick up scar tissue.  Ultrasound is able to differentiate between two structures of different densities like water and organ tissue.  It is less well suited to differentiate scar tissue from normal tissue as the differences are not that great.  Significant scarring causing a fibrotic plaque or nodule can usually be seen, but superficial scarring may not necessarily show up on ultrasound.  There is also no good current therapy although the use of viagra type medications might or might not help.  Gene therapy is still in the investigational stages and unfortunately is not likely to help your specific problem.  Please check with your local urologist for specific advice.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute