Urology/Advodart

Question
Hi I have asked u a few questions and u were very helpful but got another questions for you, just to tell you i am a 33 year old male. I was subscribed Advodart for bph but I do not have an enlarge prostate. My urologist game it to me had a ultra sound done on my prostate and everything looked fine,  my prostate is normal size but he said a portion of it is hitting my bladder or my urethra and he wants to shrink it. I have a strong stream and all just sometimes it doesn;t feel i empty my bladder all the way, and sometimes it takes a few seconds to start to pee. Anyways I have been reading a lot on the medicine Advodart and see a lot of sexual side effects and I am very worried cause i am only 33 and don;t need sexual side effects. Plus read people who have taken it and they do not like it at all but it does help the bph. My question is how common is the side effects??..Is there any other pill I could take instead???..I do already take flowmax which helps and i get no side effects from that..PLEASE help!!..

Answer
Pat:

There must be some reason why your urologist is recommending Avodart at your young age.  An alpha blocker like alfuzosin might work just as well.  Avodart has the potential for some side effects regarding sexual performance, but the overwhelming majority, more than 90%, of patients have no such problems.  You can always try the Avodart and see if you tolerate it OK and if it helps your urinary problem.  You can also get a second opinion from another urologist

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD