Hi I have asked u a few questions and u were very helpful but got another questions for you, just to tell you i am a 33 year old male. I was subscribed Advodart for bph but I do not have an enlarge prostate. My urologist game it to me had a ultra sound done on my prostate and everything looked fine,  my prostate is normal size but he said a portion of it is hitting my bladder or my urethra and he wants to shrink it. I have a strong stream and all just sometimes it doesn;t feel i empty my bladder all the way, and sometimes it takes a few seconds to start to pee. Anyways I have been reading a lot on the medicine Advodart and see a lot of sexual side effects and I am very worried cause i am only 33 and don;t need sexual side effects. Plus read people who have taken it and they do not like it at all but it does help the bph. My question is how common is the side effects??..Is there any other pill I could take instead???..I do already take flowmax which helps and i get no side effects from that..PLEASE help!!..

There must be some reason why your urologist is recommending Avodart at your young age.  An alpha blocker like alfuzosin might work just as well.  Avodart has the potential for some side effects regarding sexual performance, but the overwhelming majority, more than 90%, of patients have no such problems.  You can always try the Avodart and see if you tolerate it OK and if it helps your urinary problem.  You can also get a second opinion from another urologist

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute