Urology/Blood in Urine

Hi, I am a 29 yr old female in generally good health. Not taking any medications, just cranberry extract pills & use the Mirena (IUD) for contraception. I have noticed blood in my urine for 16 days. It does not hurt to pee, no urgency. Only dull aches on my lower abdomen. I went to a clinic last week with normal vitals & was told there's no infection (no UTI). Should I see a general Dr or Urologist or OB-Gyn to get proper treatment? Thank you so much for your help!

Being a urologist, my natural inclination would be to suggest a urology consultation.  Primary care can make a basic assessment but cannot do a full evaluation for hematuria which typically includes an X-ray such as a CT scan (any doctor can order), a urine cytology test (any doctor can order) and a cystoscopy (a look into the bladder with a scope that can only be done by a urologist.)  If it were something related to the female organs, then GYN would be the best choice, but continuous blood for 16 days with no infection suggests possibly a stone.  Good luck.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute