Urology/ice on testicles

hello sir
would like to know if putting ice on testicles
would raise testerone or ice water.or is it dangerous?
thank you
marco italyn

Marco, although there are anecdotal comments on the internet (where you can find such theories on anything) that applying ice or ice water to the scrotum will increase testosterone levels, there is NO scientific data that supports this.  I think the idea came from how the body regulates sperm production.  The testicles that hang in the scrotum produce all of the sperm and 2/3 of the testosterone that a man manufactures.  The remaining testosterone is produced by the adrenal glands.  

The scrotum actually has a function.  It allows for the ideal temperature of sperm production which is a bout 1 degree lower than the core body temperature.  This is why the scrotum is more lax in warm temperatures and yet contracts and holds the testicles closer to the body in cooler temperatures.  In some men with fertility problems, the wearing of jockey (as opposed to boxer shorts) and taking baths rather than showers may have a lowering of their sperm count by being subjected to too much heat.  Conversely, it has been suggested that applying cold water or ice to such individuals may increase their sperm count.  However, this  really does not work because too much cold also over-rides the function of the scrotum.  Likewise the theory that "if applying cold artificially to the scrotum increases sperm production it must also increase testosterone".  This, however, is NOT true.

I hope I have explained this satisfactorily for you.  Good luck.

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS