You are here:



I am a 56 year old female and my problem is I don't void all the way and I have a lot of pain during urination; and recently is progressing into hurting and I'm not even using the bathroom.  My doctor first prescriped Tamsulosin, which caused bad constipation, then he wanted to prescribe Urocatrol but my insurance said no.  When the doctors office finally called me back about my prescription I was told that the only possibility was to go back to the Tamsulosin at which time I said no.  I say this because I have type II diabetes and I have nerve damage to my nerves; gastroparesis.  This is why I don't want a medication that can cause constipation.  I cancelled my next appointment and am having a problem trying to decide as to whether I should seek another Urologist.  The original reason I went there was because I had blood in my urine and was getting frequent UTI's and I started using the bathroom so bad that I had to switch to a diaper.  They did several tests but I told him that the way this test is working I don't think it works for my problem because my main problem was happening at night when I would wake up and have to use the bathroom only I couldnt make it to the toilet in time before I tinkled all over myself. I've had a cisto performed and he said that nothing was showing in my bladder and he would try this medicine to see if it would help.   My last visit I had emptied my urine twice and I still had urine left in my bladder..only I couldnt feel it.  I'm concerned that perhaps I'm making more out of this than necessary or I'm going to a doctor that doesn't seem to be too interested in me as a patient.  I am extremely overweight and I am trying to get in better physical shape but this pain during urination is causing a lot of problems


Your situation is quite a bit more complicated than most. You should definitely seek out another urologist; try to find one who has done extra fellowship work in pelvic floor problems.  You may need a bladder pressure test to determine what is going on with the blader and sphincter muscle.  Such experts are often found at university centers. Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.