Several months ago i hit my crotch on the tank of friends motorbike. i was going really slow maybe 2mph. it hurt for 20 min, but only 20 min after i was able to obtain a full erection. since then i've had successful intercoure several times, some spontaneous erections and a couple nocturnal emissions, while also waking up sometimes with full erections.

However, I also have lost an erection a couple times with sex. I went to a urologist for a separate superficial dorsal vein thrombosis which he said is not related to erection function. he mentioned in younger guys with good blood flow it could be a partial leak. I'm wondering how big of an impact in your opnion to crotch could create a leak? If i have good erections masterbating and still get random erections should i test for a leak? He said he doesn't recommend diagnosiing it because the treatment is the same and surgery isn't successful. thoughts please. thank you

I do not agree with your urologist's opinion.  If you can have good erections with masturbation, then you do not have a venous leak; partial or otherwise.  Situational or intermittent erection trouble is usually psychological.  Certainly, a surgery is not the answer.  As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "partial venous leak".  You either have a venous leak or you don't.  You may want to get another urology opinion.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute