Urology/lelandbuttle@hotmail.com

Question
Dr.

Several months ago i hit my crotch on the tank of friends motorbike. i was going really slow maybe 2mph. it hurt for 20 min, but only 20 min after i was able to obtain a full erection. since then i've had successful intercoure several times, some spontaneous erections and a couple nocturnal emissions, while also waking up sometimes with full erections.

However, I also have lost an erection a couple times with sex. I went to a urologist for a separate superficial dorsal vein thrombosis which he said is not related to erection function. he mentioned in younger guys with good blood flow it could be a partial leak. I'm wondering how big of an impact in your opnion to crotch could create a leak? If i have good erections masterbating and still get random erections should i test for a leak? He said he doesn't recommend diagnosiing it because the treatment is the same and surgery isn't successful. thoughts please. thank you

Answer
Von:

I do not agree with your urologist's opinion.  If you can have good erections with masturbation, then you do not have a venous leak; partial or otherwise.  Situational or intermittent erection trouble is usually psychological.  Certainly, a surgery is not the answer.  As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "partial venous leak".  You either have a venous leak or you don't.  You may want to get another urology opinion.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD