Urology/Penile Doppler

Question
I have a question regarding the accuracy of penile doppler ultrasound in the detection and diagnosis of venous leak.

Penile doppler results of my brother showed persistent reversed flow EDV along the course of the examination. Is it still possible for him to be suffering from venous leak?

In other words, is it possible if he undergoes cavernosometry that it will reveal venous leak?

Or does the "Reversed flow EDV" pattern excludes the possibility of venous leak altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hani:

Unfortunately, regardless of the EDV, there is still the possibility of venous leak although usually this is unlikely as the EDV decreases.  Doppler ultrasound is just not accurate enough to be guaranteed.

But why does he need to know?  There is essentially no reliable treatment specifically for venous leak and the available therapies remain the same.  Why go through the discomfort and expense of cavernosometry when it provides no likely therapeutic benefit?

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD