Urology/Is it possible to damage pelvic floor muscles while masturbating on the edge of a leather couch?

Question
To elaborate a little, would it be possible if there was too much pressure from the couch being applied to the male perineum area that the pelvic floor muscles would get stuck while having an orgasm and therefore stretch and become damaged? I noticed some twitching has developed in the perineal area. An MRI scan revealed no abnormality in the pelvic floor. Other symptoms include weak morning erections that subside on waking as well as difficulty maintaining erections during intercourse.

Answer
Harry, I do NOT believe it is possible to damage your pelvic floors muscles from the scenario you describe.  That being said, abnormal pressure on the perineum can potentially bruise and irritate the nerves in the perineum that supply the penis & are instrumental in allowing normal erections.  This is a relatively common problem in men who ride their bikes for long periods of time and to a less degree in horseback riders and even in those who sit on their perineum for hours at a computer or on long auto rides.  The symptoms generally resolve on there own once the offending activity is discontinued.  However, nerve repair takes a fairly long time and is measured in months. For those who sit too long,I suggest getting up at least every 2 hours to stretch their legs for 5-10 minutes and also to pad the seat with a cushion such as sponge rubber.  Good luck.

Urology

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.