You are here:

Urology/Red spot penis


Pic 1
Pic 1  
Pic 2
Pic 2  
QUESTION: Hi I have this spot on my foreskin that I would like to have a opinion on. It's painless, seems to be intregated with the skin. I have had it for about two weeks (that I know of). I have had problems with a itchy bum, that maybe was fungual, but it's gone now, healed by itself after using some anti fungual cream. I'm pretty sure it's not an STD since I haven't cheated on my girlfriend and i'm sure she hasn't either. She's pregnant and we haven't ha sex in about a month so probably nothing from her either. I have tried Canesten 1% since last wednesday, but seems to be the same as before, now for 2 days I have mixed with som Hydrocortisone 1%.

Does it look worrying to you? Could it be precancerous?

ANSWER: Fred, in spite of the picture, as you might imagine, for this type of problem it is not possible for me to make an exact diagnosis or give recommendations over the internet because of the inability to take a more complete history and do a physical examination.  However, I shall try to help you.   I can tell you that it does not at all look worrisome nor is it precancerous.  

The common causes of such lesions are sebaceous cysts, infected hair follicles, skin tags & genital warts (condylomata accuminata).  However, the pictures you sent do not really look like any of these conditions.  It really is a very non-specific patch of inflammation.    Common causes of this would be a bacterial, yeast or fungal infection, contact dermatitis, or a primary dermatologic condition (such a psoriasis, eczema, lichen planus, lichen sclerosis,  etc.). Infections involving the penile glans occur almost exclusively in uncircumcised men & are more common in diabetics.   They respond to proper genital hygiene and topical antibacterial creams.  If refractory, circumcison is sometimes necessary for cure.  Yeast and fungal infection usually respond to a 10 day course of medication such as lotrimin, lamasil or nystatin cream.  Contact dermatoses are much more difficult to track down as it usually infers that you penis is touching something it is allergic to.  This can be a substance on your hands such as chemicals used at work, soaps, detergents used for under clothes, condoms, feminine hygiene sprays your partner might use, etc.  The treatment is eliminating the cause and using at least 1% hydrocortisone or another steroid cream as needed.  If your problem is refractory, consultation with a urologist or dermatologist is suggested.  

Sorry I can't be more specific as to the exact diagnosis but I am very comfortable in telling you it is not serious.  Good luck.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Wow! Thank you so much for that thorough answer!

I'am trying this mix of Canesten and Hydrocortisone all through this week to see if something change.

It's very reassuring to hear that you are so confident of it not being something worrying or dangerous. It doesn't hurt me in any way but i'm a guy that can worry over these things so it's good to know it isn't dangerous. It doesn't seem to get worse (maybe a little better perhaps, hard to tell) which has to be a good thing, even though I had for about 2 weeks as I said.

Fred, the anti-fungal Canesten is Lotrimin which I mentioned in my note to you.  Use this for 10 days.  If the lesion is still there, I would suggest seeing a dermatologist as they are more familiar with skin lesions (even though this one is on your penis) than the average urologist.  Good luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Arthur Goldstein, M.D.


Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.


I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS

©2017 All rights reserved.