Urology/testosterone level

Question
QUESTION: Dr.

Ok. I went in recently to the Dr. and had routine blood tests and a testosterone test. All were normal except my testosterone was 438 ng/dl which is in the lower range of normal. My free testosterone was 82.  I'm aware the range for normal for total is 300- 1000. I'm 27, tall about 6'3 and skinny about 145 lbs. Will lifting weight or gaining weight increase my testosterone? How do i increase it without supplements or replacement therapy.

ANSWER: Ron:

Lifting weights and gaining weight will NOT increase testosterone.  You cannot increae your testosterone with any supplements.  You can use replacement therapy, but it isn't indicated and you'll suppress your natural testosterone production.

Your testosterone levels are in the normal range.  Normal is normal so don't worry about it.  Are you having any symptoms associated with low testosterone?

QUESTION: Dr.

No, no real symptoms. I asked another urologist and he said any dysfunction given the testosterone level I have couldn't be blamed on that. As you know, I've had hard erections at night and with masturbation and mostly also with intercourse, just a couple random times when I've lost an erection during sex only. So there's no way to increase it? Is it all based on genetics? I'm 27 now, at what age does it start to get lower? Thanks.

ANSWER: Ron:

Your urologist is correct.  Given your testosterone level, this is not your problem.  Losing erections intermittently is usually a sign of psychological issues because blood flow, vascularity, tissue function, nerve issues and hormone levels are all pretty stable.  There is no natural way to increase testosterone and even if you did, it wouldn't help since that's not the problem.

Testosterone levels begin to slowly decrease in the mid to late 30's.

QUESTION: Dr.
Thanks. Just wondering how important is blood pressure in sexual functioning.  I have an at home blood pressure monitor and my numbers have been around 130/80. However when I go in to the doctor I get nervous that it's going to be high so it ends up being higher then normal classic white coat syndrome.  I'm an active person who is skinny . How does blood pressure affect erections

Answer
Ron:

High blood pressure is often a sign of athersclerosis or hardening of the arteries.  This often causes erection trouble, but it's not the blood pressure; it's the same thing that causes the high blood pressure also interferes with blood flow into the penis and can cause ED.

Low blood pressure can also cause ED due to decreased blood flow but this time it's from low blood pressure and not clogged arteries.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD