I am having some minor discomfort in my urethra (upper part) near the end of the penis. It is not bothering me all the time. It comes and goes. There is no problem with my urine as being infected. Also, this could be part of a prostities problem. I have never had any bacteria infection showing ever in any previous prostate problems. I don't get any pain after urination.

I have read that this could just part of a prostate problem or maybe sexual problem?

Could this be an inflamed urethra? Can this be eliminated by drinking allot of water to flush it out? Should I get to see a urologist if this does not go away? Maybe Cystoscopy?

Your opinion in this matter would be appreciated. thanks.


You are correct that what you've described could be due to an inflamed urethra OR to prostatitis which can also affect sensation in the tip of the penis.  If this continues, a checkup by your local physician or a urologist may be reasonable.  Drinking more water is usually a good idea for these types of problems and sometimes they will go away by themselves.  If this doesn't happen, then check with your physician.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.