Thanks. Regarding the superficial dorsal vein thrombosis that occured a month after hitting the area. I went to two urologists and both didn't seem concerned by it and said to take baby aspirin 81 mg. I've since had intercourse several times.  They also said is doesn't have an effect on erections which I heard you say before.  One other urologist said it would take up to a year or more for the body to dissolve it completely.  I'm just wondering what your opinion is on this. Also, How would you know if the vein actually ruptured vs it being thrombosed? Thanks.

I believe I answered this for you already, but we can do it again.  There is no clinical significance to the superficial dorsal vein injury.  It doesn't drain the corpora and is not involved in erection function.  It will probably take some time for this to resolve as has been indicated to you already.

A rupture would leave a large bruise.  A thrombosed vein would not have the bruising or the resulting hematoma.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute