Urology/vein/erection

Question
Dr.

Thanks. Regarding the superficial dorsal vein thrombosis that occured a month after hitting the area. I went to two urologists and both didn't seem concerned by it and said to take baby aspirin 81 mg. I've since had intercourse several times.  They also said is doesn't have an effect on erections which I heard you say before.  One other urologist said it would take up to a year or more for the body to dissolve it completely.  I'm just wondering what your opinion is on this. Also, How would you know if the vein actually ruptured vs it being thrombosed? Thanks.

Answer
Ron:

I believe I answered this for you already, but we can do it again.  There is no clinical significance to the superficial dorsal vein injury.  It doesn't drain the corpora and is not involved in erection function.  It will probably take some time for this to resolve as has been indicated to you already.

A rupture would leave a large bruise.  A thrombosed vein would not have the bruising or the resulting hematoma.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD